Published book a dream for Sonia

A 10-week Creative Writing course with Lancashire Adult Learning gave Sonia T. Husayn the inspiration and confidence to write and publish her own book.

The 32-year-old, who is an avid reading fan, keen journal writer and occasional poet, decided to give the course a go last year and really enjoyed it.

She said: “I really wanted to gain some new skills and it was interesting to find out more about how to develop characters, editing and critiquing.

“It gave me the confidence to start writing my own children’s book ‘Happy Hijri New Year!’”

The book, aimed at 2 to 5-year-olds, gives an insight into the Islamic New Year, celebrated this year on July 29th/30th.

Sonia said: “I felt there was a need for good quality books to teach both Muslim and non-Muslim children about the traditions of my religion, with beautiful illustrations following a young family going to search for the moon and celebrating the New Year.”

She sourced illustrator Nadia Elzein on social media to depict the celebrations perfectly and now has 300 copies of her self-published book, ready to give out to family, friends and local organisations as well as selling online.

Sonia added: “I’m very proud of my achievements and excited to see what the future might bring. While this year I am just testing my book out on a small audience, I hope to develop my range of books next year with further celebratory events. Who knows where it may lead?”

The book is available to purchase online at www.mydmpublishing.com.

To find out more about the vocational courses available via Lancashire Adult Learning, visit https://www.lal.ac.uk/,  phone 0333 003 1717 or email enquiries.lal@nelsongroup.ac.uk

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.