Skills for Life: Keelie Barrett

NHS maternity support worker Keelie Barrett, 44, from Burnley boosted her career after gaining her Functional Skills Maths and English qualifications.

Keelie works at Burnley General Hospital and came to LAL to support her to improve her career prospects and widen her options for promotion and other roles within East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Four years after achieving her qualifications, as well as continuing as a maternity support worker, Keelie is now part of a team developing a new job role and training package for other maternity support workers.

She has also become active in her Trade Union, and is completing qualifications to support her role as a rep.

Keelie said: “I remember being worried that everyone else in the class would be younger than me. My tutor made everything so easy though, and I was well supported in my learning. I never felt uncomfortable asking questions.

“Achieving my qualifications has definitely given me the boost in confidence I needed and to encourage me to keep developing my knowledge in the future.

“In my Trade Union education, I have completed my Diploma in Employment Law and I’m currently doing my Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.”

To view our range of Functional Skills Maths and English courses, visit our website today at: https://www.lal.ac.uk/what-we-do/maths-and-english/

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.