National Literacy Trust head praises Lancashire Adult Learning’s ‘impressive’ family learning provision

Lancashire Adult Learning’s approach to family learning and improving lives through adult education has been praised by the National Literacy Trust.

Rosemary Thomas, Head of Operations at the National Literacy Trust, visited LAL to take a tour of some of the schools the organisation is currently supporting through its family learning provision, with a specific focus on language development.

During the morning, Rosemary observed ‘Help your Child with Reading’ sessions at Ightenhill Primary School in Burnley and at Marsden Primary School in Nelson. In the afternoon, she dropped into St Mary Magdalen’s School in Accrington to see the preparation for English SATs exams, before finishing the day at Cherry Fold Primary School in Burnley for a ‘Let’s Engineer’ class.

Sandwiched in between was a working lunch at LAL’s Northlight home in Brierfield, where Rosemary was introduced to members of the Lancashire Adult Learning team, who lead on family learning provision and quality. She also met senior staff from Pendle Primary Academy in Brierfield and Briercliffe Primary School in Burnley where LAL is having a positive impact on the lives of children and adults.

Following her visit, Rosemary said: “The ability of parents to support their children in their educational journey is crucial. I was really impressed by the work being delivered by Lancashire Adult Learning.

“It reinforced my thoughts on how best to reach parents who have poor literacy skills, in particular the importance of building relationships and peer support. We look forward to factoring in what I have learned in our future programmes.”

Arsalam Jawed, 30, whose daughter attends Marsden Primary School in Nelson said: “I’ve really enjoyed the class and coming into the school to see what my child is learning and how she is learning. I’ve been very impressed.”

Sajida Bashir, 42, whose daughter is also at the school, added: “My older child is in Year 7 now and is a completely different learner to my younger daughter who doesn’t read as much. I think the sessions here with Lancashire Adult Learning are a great help and make learning fun.”

Kathryn Taylor, Partnership and Recruitment Officer for Family Learning at Lancashire Adult Learning, said: “We’re really proud of the quality of our family learning provision here at Lancashire Adult Learning and the impact it has on the lives of learners right across the county.

“In the 2017-18 academic year, 98% of children’s behaviour improved as a result of parents’ attendance on wider family learning courses and 92% of parents on family learning courses reported that their child is now doing better at school.

“I’d like to thank Rosemary for taking the time to visit LAL. We are always open to sharing good practice with others and I’m delighted that Rosemary and the National Literacy Trust have recognised the value in our approach to family learning.”

As well as its targeted delivery and partnership work, Lancashire Adult Learning offers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Functional Skills English and Maths and Employability courses.

In February 2018, Lancashire Adult Learning was named as the inaugural winner of the national Adult and Community Learning Provider of the Year at the TES FE Awards.

Further information about Lancashire Adult Learning can be found at www.lal.ac.uk or by calling 0333 003 1717.

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.