Chorley and Leyland residents get a taste for ‘Make the Most of your Tablet’ courses with Lancashire Adult Learning

Adult learners in Chorley and Leyland are getting to grips with using their tablets with the help of Lancashire Adult Learning.

Working in partnership with Chorley Borough Council, Lancashire County Council and Age UK, LAL has been running ‘Make the Most of your Tablet’ courses at the Age UK Lifestyle Centre in Gillibrand Street in Chorley and at Leyland Library.

The sessions have been hugely successful at both locations, with volunteers now running the popular Friday morning sessions in Chorley, including one to one guidance. Interest in the Tuesday afternoon Leyland course has also been extremely high, and there are now two separate sessions for learners to attend at their leisure.

Sessions are open to learners looking to learn more about the features on their tablet, including sending emails, how to operate online banking, how to order prescriptions over the internet, keeping in touch with family and friends through social media and staying safe while using digital devices.

Laura Myers, Partnership and Recruitment Officer at Lancashire Adult Learning, said: “I’m absolutely delighted that interest in the ‘Make the Most of your Tablet Courses’ has been incredibly high and that people are getting real value out of attending them and learning at a pace that suits them.

“By working together with our key partners to identify where we can help, we take great pleasure in seeing these ideas progress and develop and it is fantastic to see that the Chorley session has become self-sufficient, and that interest in Leyland highlights the demand for such courses.

“One of Lancashire Adult Learning’s key priorities is the digital agenda and an enormous amount of work is going into this area to tackle digital exclusion. Our aim is to improve the lives of adult learners of all ages by helping them understand how to use online tools to make life easier, and also tackle loneliness by helping them stay connected with family and friends.”

Jean Colton, 83, who has been attending the Leyland Library sessions, said: “It’s a way for me to get out and to communicate with others. My teacher Amy is fabulous and the first session I attended is one of the best afternoons I’ve had in a long time.

“I thought there was not much point having a tablet if I didn’t know how it worked and I’ve really enjoyed learning new ways to use it.”

Brian Martin, 69, from Wheelton, has been going to the Chorley sessions for six months. He said: “I discovered the course walking past the front door on my way in and out of town. The good thing about it for me is that I can learn at my own pace.

“I’ve learned how to use email, Facebook and Skype which I use often to speak with relatives. I would recommend the group as it is really good. I’ve made some nice friends and my confidence has improved.”

In February 2018, Lancashire Adult Learning was named as the inaugural winner of the national Adult and Community Learning Provider of the Year at the TES FE Awards.

Further information about Lancashire Adult Learning can be found at www.lal.ac.uk or by calling 0333 003 1717.

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.