LAL joins the celebrations of the Red Rose County’s history and traditions on Lancashire Day

Lancashire Adult Learning opened the doors of its Northlight home to members of the public this week as the community of Brierfield and beyond celebrated Lancashire Day.

Activities included talks on the Pendle Witches, Lancashire’s Lost Castles and Lancashire Poetry, traditional folk music and dancing with Lancashire band Union Street, a chance to make your own red rose of Lancashire, and the opportunity to hear a town crier perform live and up close.

A Lancashire green screen activity was also set up for visitors to have their photo taken on top of Pendle Hill and other Lancashire locations, LAL’s meeting room was transformed into a Lancashire Tea Room and there was also information and statistics on the Red Rose County and its dialect.

Visitors on the day included a party of children from Pendle Primary Academy in Brierfield, who eagerly wanted to learn more about their home county, and the Mayor and Mayoress of Pendle, Cllr James Starkie and his wife Janet.

All visitors were treated to the option of a traditional Lancashire dish of butter pie and parched peas accompanied by a cup of Lancashire tea, to add to the authenticity of the occasion.

Peter Smith, 71, from Barrowford, said: “I’ve enjoyed the experience of Lancashire Day and the people have been very friendly.

“I was particularly interested in the castles of Lancashire and I’ve learned more about the history of them, including some that disappeared a long time ago and one or two that still exist.

“I was also interested in coming along to see what has been done to the building since it became Lancashire Adult Learning. It’s a great project and it has breathed life into the area and I think it is the boost it needed.”

Karen Farnhill, 54, from Clitheroe, said: “I saw the Lancashire Day celebrations advertised on Facebook and I wanted to visit as the last time I came to the mill was for a singing event before it became Lancashire Adult Learning.

“I’m Lancashire born and bred and it has been quite inspiring really to take part in the craft activities and enjoy the music.”

The Mayor of Pendle Cllr James Starkie said: “I was born in Nelson, as was my wife, and we always enjoy marking Lancashire Day.

“Lancashire is one of the oldest county palatines in the country. We’re a proud county with proud people and a long history which we should celebrate.

“I also think Lancashire Adult Learning has a superb facility here at Northlight in Brierfield and we need further inward investment like this into the East of the county.”

Lancashire Adult Learning’s Head of Adult Community Learning, Nicola Hall, said: “I was delighted to see so many members of the community of all ages and backgrounds joining in with our Lancashire Day celebrations at Northlight.

“As an organisation that works to support adult learners right across this great county, we are proud of Lancashire’s history and traditions but also passionate about its future prospects.

“I’d like to thank all of our visitors who attended on the day, and our guest contributors for helping make the day a great success and a true celebration of all things Lancashire.”

As well as Lancashire Adult Learning’s targeted delivery and partnership work, it also offers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County through its publicly advertised programme, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Functional Skills English and Maths and Employability courses.

In February, Lancashire Adult Learning was named as the national Adult and Community Learning Provider of the Year winner at the Tes FE Awards.

For more information about LAL, contact 0333 003 1717 or visit www.lal.ac.uk

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.