‘Dedicated and inspirational’ LAL teacher gains Highly Commended accolade at BBC Community Heroes Awards

A “dedicated and inspirational” Lancashire Adult Learning teacher has been named as a Highly Commended BBC Radio Lancashire Community Hero.

Pam Williams, who runs work clubs in Lancaster and Morecambe supporting adult learners into employment, was given the Highly Commended accolade in the Community Heroes Education Award category at Preston Guild Hall on Sunday night.

Pam joined Lancashire Adult Learning in 2008, and since then, her roles at LAL have included being an Employability teacher and a NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) Coordinator. Pam has made a huge difference to the life chances of hundreds of the hardest to reach unemployed learners who have complex health problems, multiple barriers to work and have often been unemployed for over 10 years.

Pam’s tireless travels across Lancashire to deliver courses to unemployed learners with LAL, coupled with volunteering with The Prince’s Trust in her spare time to help and support unemployed learners with CVs, mock interviews and job seeking skills, was key to her success in the nomination process.

Pam said: “I’m incredibly proud be named as Highly Commended because I just see what I do as my job. However, my manager at Lancashire Adult Learning thinks I go above and beyond in my role so it’s a fantastic feeling to be recognised for that, not only by Lancashire Adult Learning, but also by an external organisation.

“I absolutely love my job as every day is different and I take great pleasure in supporting people into employment, or on their way towards employment via education or volunteering opportunities.”

Nicola Hall, Head of Adult Community Learning at LAL said: “Pam is a dedicated teacher who breaks down barriers, raises self-esteem and develops confidence in learners so that they are able to progress along their journey into volunteering, further study and employment.

“She connects with her learners through kindness and this results in learners progressing into areas they may not have previously considered. Learners during their time with Pam gain confidence, skills and often a raft of qualifications that they never believed they could achieve.

“Pam is a valued team member – organised, driven and outstanding in her role as teacher – and is loved and respected by all her colleagues and partner organisations. She inspires others within the team and takes on any new members under her wing.”

In February, Lancashire Adult Learning was named as the national Adult and Community Learning Provider of the Year winner at the Tes FE Awards.

As well as its targeted delivery and partnership work, Lancashire Adult Learning offers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Functional Skills English and Maths and Employability courses.

For more information about LAL, contact 0333 003 1717 or visit www.lal.ac.uk

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.