Adult learners celebrated at glittering awards ceremony

Adult learners have been recognised and celebrated at a glittering awards ceremony hosted by Lancashire Adult Learning.

Held at Preston North End Football Club, the Lancashire Adult Learning Star Awards on Wednesday 13th June saw learners from across the county awarded for their success in front of VIP guests, LAL staff and their proud family and friends.

The inspirational evening showcased the positive, and often transformational, impact that adult learning can have on people’s lives – highlighting how a return to education has helped so many develop new skills and interests, take steps into employment, or build their confidence and self-esteem.

Awards were presented across a wide range of subject areas, including Health and Wellbeing, English and Maths, Volunteering, and much more.

Donna Ralston, 49, from Lancaster, picked up the Employability Star prize on the night. She said: “It was a good evening, with very inspiring people.

“I was very proud, and I really didn’t expect to win – when I was told I had been nominated I was really surprised.

“The Employability course helped to boost my confidence a lot, and I was able to develop my interview skills. I have now gone on to get a job working as a Carer in the community.”

And Learner of the Year and Health and Wellbeing Star Tracey Trattles added: “”I had a fantastic night. I was really surprised and proud to be awarded ‘Learner of the Year’. Thanks LAL.”

The event, which also included a canapé and drinks reception and a guest speaker slot by Head of Community Services at Preston Council Liz Mossop, comes after LAL picked up the prestigious Adult and Community Learning Provider of the Year gong at the national TES FE Awards.

Associate Principal for Lancashire Adult Learning Tracey Baron said: “All of our winners at this fabulous event decided to return to adult learning for different reasons, and it was wonderful to hear how it is having or has had a positive, if not transformational, impact on their lives. It truly is never too late to learn, and I hope this year’s award winners inspire others who may be thinking of a return to education, for personal or professional reasons, to take the leap and enrol onto the course of their choice.

“Thank you to everybody who helped make these awards a success – it truly was an evening of celebration, nostalgia and positivity, and I am delighted that I was able to share it with our learners, staff and guests on the night.”

As well as its targeted delivery and partnership work, Lancashire Adult Learning offers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Functional Skills English and Maths and Employability courses.

For more information about LAL, contact 0333 003 1717 or visit www.lal.ac.uk

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.