New community choirs are launched after Buckshaw Village finds its voice through LAL

A group of Buckshaw Village residents have found their voices through the creation of a community choir with the support of Lancashire Adult Learning.

The group was formed in January of this year and has been meeting at Buckshaw Village Community Centre on a weekly basis, with learners enjoying singing together and the social aspect to the choir.

A community choir is open to anybody who wants to come and sing. Everyone is treated equally and nobody is excluded. There are no auditions, no musical knowledge is necessary and the choir is not affiliated to any particular idea, culture, organisation or style of music.

Choir singing has a range of benefits too, including boosting confidence, enhancing vocal chords, providing a sense of belonging, increasing lung capacity, better mental wellbeing, improving posture and the opportunities to socialise with like-minded people.

Roger Stubbings, 71, from Whittle-le-Woods, said: “I haven’t been in a choir since I was at school but I do I like to sing. I saw the choir in literature pushed through the door and thought I’d come along. Andrea Robinson our teacher has been really good and has made it fun.”

David Hartley, 68, from Coppull, said: “I sing in a church choir and this is completely different. It’s really interesting not being conducted – you’ve got to listen to each other more for the timing. I just wanted to come along to sing and it has been a good laugh.”

Yvonne Kirk, 54, from Chorley, said: “I’m recently retired and I was looking for something to do. We are all at the same stage, and it has been good to get to know each other. Who knows what we can achieve!”

After the success of the Buckshaw Village choir, LAL is launching community choir opportunities in Cleveleys and Ormskirk this month.

Community Learning Development Officer Helen Pass said: “Learners in Buckshaw Village have loved the sessions, getting to know new people and improving their vocal chords and confidence.

“Lancashire Adult Learning believes that empowering people to learn is at the heart of helping communities thrive and I think the Buckshaw Village community choir has been a great example of this.

“If you have wanted to be part of a choir but haven’t had the opportunity, why not join a community choir with the support of Lancashire Adult Learning? We are really looking forward to launching our new sessions in Cleveleys and Ormskirk. People are welcome drop in on the day.”

The new community choir sessions in April will be at:

Ormskirk Civic Hall, Tuesday 10th April 1pm – 3pm for seven weeks.

Cleveleys Community Centre, Wednesday 11th April 10am – 12 noon for seven weeks.

As well as its targeted delivery and partnership work, Lancashire Adult Learning offers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Employability courses.

Lancashire Adult Learning’s new course guide is out now, and is packed full of courses to help adults across Lancashire learn a new skill, enhance their social life, or develop their career prospects.

For more information about LAL, contact 0333 003 1717 or visit www.lal.ac.uk

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.