LAL learner from Chorley praises provision as she secures her dream job

A single mum of two from Coppull has praised Lancashire Adult Learning for helping her to achieve her dream full-time job in childcare.

Alison Smith, 44, has completed functional skills courses in English, Maths and ICT with LAL and these helped her towards securing a position as a nursery practitioner at the Nature Trail Nursery in Chorley.

Her role is currently two days a week, but the position is set to become full-time when Alison’s son Lucas joins his sister Ruby at school from September. Her hours will jump from 16 to 32, and she will also be studying for her Level 3 Children’s Learning and Development NVQ.

Alison, who previously ran her own business, is relishing the opportunities being given to her after a decade of being a full-time mum. She praised LAL’s tutors for the quality of teaching and the support offered in helping her to achieve the role.

Alison said: “I feel great and really proud of what I have achieved. I used to have my own balloon business for 10 years, which was very successful. I would do all sorts of events, parties and weddings, and so on.

“When I became pregnant with Ruby, I chose my daughter over work and decided to close the business. I then became pregnant with Lucas and decided that I wanted him to be at school before I went back to work.

“I was never encouraged with learning at school and I felt my English and Maths skills needed bringing on. The thought of returning to work after 10 years was daunting and I was petrified of computers.

“I have really enjoyed the courses I have done with LAL. All of my tutors Margaret Hirst, Phil Carter, Cath Bryce and Janet Thompson have been brilliant and the support has been fantastic.

“The biggest change in me has been my confidence, it’s an amazing feeling. I would definitely recommend Lancashire Adult Learning to others.

“I have also looked at doing other courses with LAL and I’m probably going to look at the Counselling course. I always have a look at the brochure when a new edition is released to see what takes my fancy.”

Lancashire Adult Learning is preparing to relocate its staff hub at Lancashire College, Chorley, to Brierfield Mill in the autumn.

Adult learners in Chorley will continue to receive an extensive and exciting programme of courses in their area and LAL bosses have confirmed that an expansion of provision will be explored in and around Chorley as well in the future.

Courses currently held at the College, in Southport Road, will run from alternative venues in Chorley and the surrounding area for the new academic year. Signing onto courses will continue to be quick and easy, with learners able to enrol over the phone, via LAL’s website and at future set enrolment events.

Lancashire Adult Learning delivers a huge range of planned provision across the Red Rose County, from Arts and Crafts to Humanities classes, Languages to Health and Wellbeing sessions and Employability courses.

For more information about LAL, contact 0333 003 1717 or visit www.lal.ac.uk.

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.