Getting crafty for Christmas

It might seem a bit early to be thinking about Christmas, but a group of creative LAL crafters in Haslingden are doing just that!

The group of eight learners get together once a week at the Veterans in the Community centre, as part of one of our Community Arts and Crafts courss to sew, knit, cut and stick over a cup of tea and a chat.

Teacher Helen Draper said: “All the materials we use have been donated, and we decide what to make depending on what we’ve got – this week it’s pom-pom wreaths for Christmas!”

As well as the wreaths, the group has produced some amazing creations including cards, gift tags, tea-light holders and decopaged coathangers. These will be on sale at the Veterans in the Community centre’s Christmas Fair on 5th November, to raise funds for the Haslingden charity.

The class provides a great opportunity for people to get together and socialise while doing something they all enjoy. For Kath Cornwell, from Rawtenstall, it’s a chance to do something different. She said: “It’s social, somewhere to go and something to do. I’m retired and it’s made a big difference to me doing something for myself. It’s inspired me to carry on with what I’ve learned here at home – and I’m addicted to Pinterest!”

Your browser does not support HTML 5 Canvas.